Wednesday 22 August 2007

Back Home


Well, that's that over then!!

The operation took ten hours last Monday week. I asked the nurses whether they got a lunch break and they said they did; I asked the junior doctors whether they'd had a lunch break and they told me that they had taken turns; I asked the consultants and they admitted that they'd left the theatre to eat as well - seems I was the only one who didn't get get a lunch break!

I met the anaethesist on Monday morning and told him of my fear that I might be one of those you hear about occasionally who are paralysed but not unconscious and thus remember every moment and every pain of their operations. "Don't worry," he said, "I'm going to have you pretty deep and you won't be paralysed."

I went to sleep happy... I woke up happy. I was aware of people talking to me, of hands on me, of questions being asked, of realising it was over. People were telling me that everything had gone well, that I was on morphine, that someone had rung Elaine, could I wiggle my fingers on my right hand? I could. Was I in pain. I was. Where? It was a cross between charades and pantomime to get them to understand that my back was aching terribly. Eventually I got one of the junior doctors, a rather attractive, slim, young lady in fact, to understand that I wanted someone to rub my back or give me a massage. Before a masseuse could be summoned someone electrically adjusted my bed and raised my feet. The relief was instant and magical.

I gestured with my left hand that I wanted to write. I was given a pen and what felt like a thick pad (it turned out to be my medical notes) and I wrote answers to all the questions and asked a few of my own. The one thing I could not do, because I felt too lazy, was open my eyes. I wrote the right way up, I wrote upside down, I teased the nurses, I found I couldn't speak (I had a trachyostomy in my windpipe), I found I wasn't in pain (except for my back), I had no idea what the time was, where I was exactly, who was talking to me or what I should be doing. I got them to ring Elaine and then just made whatever noises I could down the mouthpiece - banging, scratching, rubbing - anything to let her know I was OK and as eccentric as ever. In the background I could hear a nurse trying to guess what I was doing, "Oh, morse code, no ... it's a signal?"

"No," I wrote, "it's just noises." And she read this down the phone to Elaine who got the idea.
Satisified that I was alive, not brain damaged and functioning satisfactorily, most of the audience withdrew and left me to the nurses. One asked if I'd like to listen to the radio. I nodded and she put some headphones on my ears. It was tuned to Radio One but from my expression the nurse judged that this was not what I wanted to listen to. Eventually we got to Classic FM and stopped there. Amazingly, at night this station broadcasts complete symphonies and concertos with no comments, advertisments or interuptions. It was just as well as I was disturbed every hour for my readings to be taken - blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, pulse and temperature. I didn't get much rest but I was totally out-of-it anyway.

Recovery started the next morning. The entire troop came to visit showing particular interest in the flap inplanted inside my cheek. They felt the pulse, checked the colour, looked for discharge and pronounced themselves well satisified with their handiwork. After lots of encouraging words and noises they all moved on to the next patient and left me speechless, being fed through a drip, still zonked out and anticipating the physiotherapist. Next time I opened my eyes there she was. I had to practise swallowing, moving my head up and down, round and round, shrugging my shoulders, tilting my head, a zillion and one things that had come totally naturally two days ago that I was going to have to learn all over again. Then I was taken for a walk. I had a velcro fastened belt fixed round my waist and then, with a physiotherapist on either side, holding me up, we strolled down the corridor. 5 minutes later I was back in bed my excitement over for the day.

Two days later and looking like an unfinished work by Dr Frankenstein!!



A couple of days later a nurse turned up with a brain in a glass bowl. "We found this in the theatre," she said, "and thought it might be yours." I accepted it greatfully and gestured that she should install it. At last I was beginning to feel me again. Later the same day the ward sister, Sue, removed the trachy and suddenly I could speak again.

Talking actually got harder rather than easier as days went by. As the wounds healed scar tissue formed and this is thicker and less flexible. It got harder to open my mouth wide so brushing my teeth and putting food in became harder too. I have to talk in a really posh way now exercising both lips and tongue to try and maintain maximum flexibility and control - it's too easy to be lazy!

Time in prison got increasingly boring. I walked every corridor, balcony and basement available, stood people-watching in the main entrance, even got dressed and walked around the outside of the entire hospital. I could read again, get onto the internet, listen to the radio, watch TV or try to do puzzles in magazines but time passed so slowly that I even had to resort to sitting on the loo for something to do! Fortunately my afternoons and early evenings were filled with visitors and most mornings one doctor or another or a small posse of them came and inspected their handiwork. Blood was taken, blood pressure and pulse read, visits from the physios trailed off as everybody told me how well I was doing and what a good recovery I was making. Eventually Wednesday 22nd was identified as the day to go home. It was a beautiful day, I got the all clear, packed my bags and waited for Elaine.

By 4.30 that afternoon I was home, in glorious sunshine. We walked down to the post box, and back along the common. It is good to be home. I still have the dressing on the skin graft to my right hand and as such I cannot lift, carry, dig, garden, build, decorate, drive, throw and a host of other ordinary activities. They did offer to change the dressing but I knew this would only persuade me that I could undertake some of these tasks. Hopefully it will come off when I visit the hospital next Tuesday to be replaced by something lighter but as it hasn't seen the light of day yet there is still a bit of trepidation.

So, there we are, the story so far. Next exciting installment will look at why I don't play poker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ron,
It is so good to read your news. I didn't know if I could come and visit you in hospital as I thought you would be very busy with family and close friends and didn't want to intrude.

You seem to be doing so well. It's wonderful. I'd really love to come and see you soon. I've just come back from driving Fabienne back to uni in London and I must confess that I am exhausted but I will be in touch in a day or two.
Take very good care and enjoy the sunshine.

Big hug.

Gisele